VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

How To Get An Rv To Play Audio?

When creating a new sound file, I would like to play two different files depending on a variable defined in my code. My question is, how does voiceguide know to play the correct file?

Is there a place where the $RV[foo] needs to be defined first? Or does voiceguide pick up, based on the database information, the audiofile and I'm just not pointing the path to that specific audio path?

$RV can be specified as part of the filename.

$RVs are defined when data is retrieved from databases, or based on caller selection during the script, etc.

if you do not specify the full path to the sound file that is to be played (ie. just the filename itself is specified) then VoiceGuide will look for file in the same directory where the script is, and in the script's \voice\ sub-directory (if that sub-direcory exists)

eg; if in your scirpt you have an $RV[myoption] that can take on a value of 1 or 2, then in any module you can specify the sound to play to be:

MyAnnounc_$RV[myoption].wav

and then depending on value of $RV[myoption] VoiceGuide will play either the MyAnnounc_1.wav or the MyAnnounc_2.wav sound file.

This page also demonstrates usage: http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/source/html/multi-language.htm

What does it mean when during a recording, when it should play the message specified by the $RV it says 'The sound file you are trying to play can not be found'?

Also, in the log file, where locationaudio would normally be defined it is blank.

[accountid]{xxxxx}
[callid]{A43808D2-DCC9-82FB-A834-043E12788488}
[dname]{TESTING SITE }
[pname]{MY TEST ACCOUNT}
[xfernumber]{12345678923}
[appdate]{Saturday August 6}
[appdateSP]{Sabado Augusto 6}
[apptime]{8:00 AM}
[officephone]{seven, zero, two, seven, three, five, seven, six, six, eight,}
[officephoneSP]{siete, cero, dos, siete, tres, cinco, siete, seis, seis, ocho,}
[provideraudio]{C:\voiceguide\Sounds\xxxxx\English\New-doctor-addition\Dr_JohnsonEN-SP\Dr-Haugen.wav}
[provideraudioSP]{C:\voiceguide\Sounds\xxxxx\English\New-doctor-addition\Dr_JohnsonEN-SP\2.4Dr-HaugenSP.wav}
[greeting1]{}
[specialaudio]{}
[locationaudio]{} <= WHY IS THE AUDIO FILE NOT SHOWING HERE SO I CAN USE THE $RV
[locationaudioSP]{} <= WHY IS THE AUDIO FILE NOT SHOWING HERE SO I CAN USE THE $RV
[specialaudios]{}
[ttslocation]{at our SUPER TEST location}
[ttslocationSP]{en nuestra SUPER TEST localidad}
[ttsprovider]{with Doctor JOHNSON}
[ttsproviderSP]{con el doctor JOHNSON}
[special]{}
[specialSP]{}
[ttsAddress]{}
[ttsAddressSP]{}

What does it mean when during a recording, when it should play the message specified by the $RV it says 'The sound file you are trying to play can not be found'?

It means that after replacing the $RV placeholder with the value stored in that $RV the resulting filename string did not point to an existing file.

If the filename is specified without any path then VoiceGuide will look in following locations for that file:

- in the script's directory.

- in the script's \voice\ sub-directory.

- in VoiceGuide's \system\voice\ sub-directory.

If the filename is specified with the full path then it can point to any file anywhere on the system or networked drives etc.

If you can post the vgEngine trace capturing the entire call during which the "sound file you are trying to play can not be found' message was played then we can advise what sound file the VoiceGuide system was looking to play and did not find.

[locationaudio]{} <= WHY IS THE AUDIO FILE NOT SHOWING HERE SO I CAN USE THE $RV
[locationaudioSP]{} <= WHY IS THE AUDIO FILE NOT SHOWING HERE SO I CAN USE THE $RV

These are user defined $RVs. These $RVs are not part of $RVs that VoiceGuide creates of its own accord.

You would need to find what process or script created these $RVs and look at that process/script to see why these $RVs were created with no value assigned to them.