VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Caller Id In The Uk

David Cosserat wrote:

I've downloaded your software, read your testimonials, read the technical details, and I'm absolutely sold! It looks liek a very elegant solution. However.... I haven't found any documentation telling me how to pick up and use the Caller ID - a feature that is essential to my application.

I should add that I need to run this system in the UK where I believe the caller ID facility works somewhat differently from elsewhere.

Can you please confirm that your product handles Caller Id and if so how I use it?

Also, can you suggest a suitable modem (I have tried Hayes External V92 Accura - works but no caller ID; Zoom external V92 Voice Faxmodem - doesnt work at all; Creative Modem Blaster USB version - works but no caller ID.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

You need to get a modem which correctly reads the Caller ID sent by your phone company and reports it to Windows - if modem reports Caller ID to Windows then you will be able to see this information in VoiceGuide's trace log.

(When running the script click on VoiceGuide's View menu and select 'Event Trace Log' option - any log information will then appear in this window. You must open the trace window before making the call.)

You will need to speak to people at your local computer retailer to find out which modems can correctly read your phone companys Caller ID - and of course you need to confirm that your phone company is send you the Caller ID info in the first place...

If you can see the Caller ID information in the trace log then you can use the $RV_CIDNAME and $RV_CIDNUMBER Result Variables in your script.

From VG Help file:

$RV_CIDNAME

Allow access to the Caller's Name (if available). Can be used in Evaluate Expression modules to switch to different areas on the script based on who is the caller.

On many telephone systems the Caller ID information is sent between the first and the second Ring. Hence it is usually necessary to set the line to answer after the second Ring if this Result Variable is to carry any information. Select "Line Device Config" from the View menu when running VoiceGuide to set the Ring count.

$RV_CIDNUMBER

Allow access to the Caller's Telephone Number (if available). Can be used in Evaluate Expression modules to switch to different areas on the script based on who is the caller.

On many telephone systems the Caller ID information is sent between the first and the second Ring. Hence it is usually necessary to set the line to answer after the second Ring if this Result Variable is to carry any information. Select "Line Device Config" from the View menu when running VoiceGuide to set the Ring count.