VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Computer Hangs

I got VoiceGuide answering the phone giving extensive information in 9 different topics. After working flawles for few hours my computers slows down to almost a hung situation. Sometimes I manage to close voiceguide and on re-start everything is normal again for few hours. When the computer slows down the hard drive indicates heavy activity. Sometimes I cannot even close the application and I have to reset the computer.

I am running the latest version on VoiceGuide, in windows 98 on a pentium III-233 MMX. My modem is an external Hayes 56 K V90-wich improved much the quality of the voice on the telephone after I replaced the internal modem. The slowness also happened with the previous internal modem.

I will appreciate any suggestions to improve the reliability of my system.

Thanks.

Manuel

How much RAM is in your computer? Hard disk actrivity indicates that the computer is swapping memory to hard disk - and once this starts happening everything will slow down.

How long are the various sound files that are playing? We have found that sometimes modem drivers will not handle long sound files well - but we have not seen this result in any memory leakage (which sounds like is happening on your system)

Can you post or email us (support@katalinatech.com) the script you are using.

I think your problem is the obviose one.

WINDOWS 98

Didn't Windows 98 have a memory leak problem?

I would guess that it is the OS that yoru using, perhaps combined with the nature of VG and the fuctions it uses and Windows 98 platform being as bad as it was..... I dunno

Remember when Microsoft went to Introduce Windows 95 on a notebook LIVE on CNN? Yeah all was going well, they plugged in a PCMCIA Card to show how it was so simple and installed the drivers automatically.... I have the video clip of that. Well The notebook went BLUE SCREEN 0E Failure.. You should of seen the look on the microsoft rep. He said, Hmm That wasn;t supposed to happen.....

Its just an idea...

This definitely sounds like a memory problem. If you are writing inline VB script make sure that you destroy all of your objects when you are done with them. For instance, if you are doing something with MS Word via OLE automation, Word will get loaded everytime you launch the script. You must make sure that nothing is getting called that isn't getting closed.

On the Windows 98 thingy. If you are serious about your solution, dump it! At a minimum I would run Windows NT. Way better memory management!

u can handle your mem leak a couple of ways. you could edit your system.ini file and add a MaxFileChace=

under the [vchace] section

I assume that the spelling was abit off in brsj's post...

It probably should have said "cache" where it said "chace", making it:

MaxFileCache= in the [vcache] section.

At first glance this setting appears to increase the number of files that Win98 is allowed to cache - but I'm not too sure if this would actually solve any memory leakage problems which the original poster (manueljsoler) seemed to have on their system...

In general (as a couple of people have mentioned already) Win98 had memory issues and if you want a stable, commercial quality environment get WinNT/2000...