VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Has Updating Rendered Scripts/vb Inoperable?

I updated from Dialogic 5 and Vg 5 to Dialogic 6 and VG 7 but now my script doesn't work.

It seems to be something to do with Paths; one of the logs says next Module Not Defined.

I changed Voiceguide to vgServices in the create.object statements but are there other changes I need to make to my script to reflect the update?

I have attached a zip file with the script, ini and logs.

Running Windows XP/SP3 with VB 6.

Traces show that the script is using the VoiceGuide COM/WCF interfaces, however the license on system is a Professional license type.

To use the VoiceGuide COM/WCF interfaces the Enterprise license must be used on the system.

Please see: http://www.voiceguide.com/vgFeatures.htm

set vg = CreateObject("vgServices.CommandLink")
vg.Admin_TraceLogAdd 1, 0, "About to start variables initialisation"
' Initialise variables to be used later in script
vg.RvSet $RV_LINEID, "ClubTelephonyID",    "$RV[AskClubID]"
vg.RvSet $RV_LINEID, "CupID",              0
vg.RvSet $RV_LINEID, "HomeSideNo",         0

vg.Admin_TraceLogAdd 1, 0, "Variables initialisation finished"
vg.Run_ResultReturn $RV_LINEID, "success"
vg.Admin_TraceLogAdd 1, 0, "InitVars success"
set vg = nothing

204942.765 13   1   1 comlg About to start variables initialisation
204943.125 13   1   1 rem   RvSet ClubTelephonyID, 091721
204943.125 13   1   1 ERROR: COM interface not supported in this version.

Could you also please describe the specifications to the system which you are using? ie: CPU/RAM etc?

Does this system just have Windows+Dialogic+VoiceGuide on it, or are there some other appreciations installed and/or running at the same time?

In particular are there any anti-virus type applications?

There is a VB telephony application running which takes the data from the VG system and uploads it to databases on the internet but this isn't integrated within the VG script. As far as I know it starts up entirely separately from the Dialogic/VG set-up and just monitors the VG files taking the data as it arrives.

The COM stuff - which I don't really understand - is a hangover from the Enterprise licence we had for Version 5. When we switched to Vers 7 we couldn't afford to upgrade to Enterprise so went for the Professional instead. I hadn't realised/appreciated the COM implications.

Is there an equivalent to COM we can use that is within the Professional licence? Otherwise, if this is a show stopper I'll revert to Vers 5 (and get my money back!).

The system is a Pentium 3.2e with 1/2 Gb of memory and a 160Mb hard drive running Windows XP/SP3.

Anti virus protection is via BitDefender AntiVirus 2012.

The whole thing has worked faultlessly for over 6 years on this PC until we changed from ISDN to analogue. We have now been without the system for nearly 6 weeks all due to that one, simple difference. Seems incredible to me.

Is there an equivalent to COM we can use that is within the Professional licence?

No. COM/WCF/etc interfaces are only supported in the Enterprise version of VoiceGuide.

The system is a Pentium 3.2e with 1/2 Gb of memory and a 160Mb hard drive running Windows XP/SP3.

This is below the minimum hardware specs. Are you able to add more memory to this system?

Anti virus protection is via BitDefender AntiVirus 2012.

We have noticed that the VBScripts that have been called by the VoiceGuide scripts run very slowly - this can be caused by the system in general being very slow (too many apps and not enough memory) or by the anti-virus software interfering with VBScript execution.

We'd recommend first adding more memory to the system and if the delays in script execution are still too much then next we'd be trying to turn off the anti-virus software and seeing if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the info/advice.

I've ordered (and received) the updated Enterprise licence and I'll install that straightaway. The script can't work without COM because it relies on data brought back from the ACCESS SQL database.

The PC system has performed extremely well for over 6 years as configured but I installed Bitdefender AntiVirus 2012 when the previously installed AV stuff expired. I noticed an immediate and significant lengthening of pretty much everything I ran - including the time it takes to re-boot - and I was determined to remove the Bitdefender stuff and put something else on (probably Microsoft Security Essentials). But in view of the problems I already had I wasn't about to take that on as well, for the moment.

I will also upgrade the memory to 2Gb (already ordered).

Hopefully this will fnally resolve all my issues and I can get back to where I was 6 weeks ago; trying to find out why the system doesn't handle callers hanging-up properly.

I would like to move the system to a more modern Windows 7 PC and use HMP/VoIP but I've already been without the system for 6 weeks and can't afford any more downtime. How can I develop the HMP system in parallel cutting over to it once it's all proved and working? Does your licence allow this or will the different m/c IDs get in the way?

I installed Bitdefender AntiVirus 2012 when the previously installed AV stuff expired. I noticed an immediate and significant lengthening of pretty much everything I ran

Are you able to set the AV software to not scan VBScripts that are started by local applications, or set some sort of exemption for VoiceGuide so that AV software does not interfere with VoiceGuide's operation?

How can I develop the HMP system in parallel cutting over to it once it's all proved and working?

The HMP based system would need to be on another machine. Dialogic HMP drivers cannot be installed on the same machine as the Dialogic SR6.0 drivers.

Does your licence allow this or will the different m/c IDs get in the way?

A license issued linked to a Dialogic card cannot be used to enable a HMP based system (which does not use any cards).

Please contact sales@voiceguide.com directly for all license/upgrade related inquiries.

I've tried 3 different combinations:

Windows Security Essentials

BitDefender AntiVirus 2012

No AV

and I have tried excluding all the Dialogic/VG folders and processes from the scan process in both AV set-ups all to no avail. The VB modules still take up to 40 seconds to start up. (And that's 5 combinations really).

Prior to upograding to VG vers 7 (from5) the stuff just flew along and that was with AV installed. And I've doubled the amount of real memory from 1Gb tp 2Gb.

Do you have any example VB 6.0 modules you can send/I can download so I see if there are any differences in the way we use it and what you do?

If you cannot find what is is causing the delays in Windows Scripting Host execution of the VBScripts (it would most likely be some sort of anti-virus software) then maybe the quickest way for you to fix this on your system would be to just reformat the hard disk and then install just Windows and Dialogic drivers and VoiceGuide only. And check system performance with just this minimal install.

For reasons already explained i can't migrate the system.

Any chance of the VB examples?

The suggestion was not to migrate the system but to reformat the hard disk and reinstall Windows again. On the same system. (and then install just Dialogic and VoiceGuide).

Not sure what you mean by "example VB 6.0 modules". Are referring to VoiceGuide v6?

Thanks for the suggestion but, with respect, it's not a practical one. I could simply end up with a system that doesn't work at all.

Migrating to a clean host is OK but as I've explained in earlier posts there is a development environment on the existing host that can't be moved (as it's obsolete and we don't have the source CDs anymore).

Do you know of any monitoring software that I could install that would tell me what was going on between the VG module ending and the VG module (trying to) start up. I have changed the AV (from Windows Security Essentials to Bitdefender), I have suspended it, I have removed it altogether and run without any AV (frightening) and I have tried to register all the Dialogic/VG related stuff as "not to be scanned". All to no avail.

The pause is so long - up to a minute - that callers will hang up thinking the line's gone dead so I have got to resolve the issue somehow.

The delay is not in VoiceGuide. It is in the Windows Scripting Host.

VoiceGuide starts an instance of the Windows Scripting Host asking it to run the script.

We are seeing that call to start Windows Scripting Host is fine, but the script takes a long time to start executing (about 4 seconds to start based on traces) and then executes very slowly.

Every time when we have seen this before it was because of some anti-virus software interfering with Windows Scripting Hosts VBScript execution.