VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Call Transfer With Dialogic

Greetings,

I have a WinXP box, VG for Dialogic ver. 6.0.2378, and a Dialogic D/41EPCI card. I am running VG as Single line Professional with VGDialer. I am located in the United States (New Jersey) with phone service provided by Verizon.

I am trying to do a Call Transfer using Hookflash Transfer Monitored. When I call in to the script, I press 0 to transfer the call. I can hear the Transfer routine "click" and then I hear the target number being dialed.

My understanding is that, because I can hear the target numbers being dialed, the Hookflash did not register (it did not put the current call on Hold). I have read numerous posts about this situation and it seems the documentation is also fairly robust regarding how to lengthen the Hookflash time in order to get it to be detected.

I have tried extending the Hookflash time using approach 1 (TAPI) and using approach 2 (.prm file). Both approaches require stopping VG and the Dialog service. I stopped the Dialogic service using the DCM, and restarted it the same way, for my tests.

The first issue is identifying the correct .prm file. Of the 7 .prm files that begin with us_ , there are 3 that begin with us_41x where x is e, h, and j. I selected us_41e.prm because that seemed closest to my card name (D/41EPCI). This file did not contain any PARAM 52 entry, so I added one. After some tests that showed no change in the manner of failure (I could still hear the DTMF of the dialing), I lengthened the time to 200. I felt this was such a long time that it would ensure a Hang-Up detected.

No change. I could still hear the dialing. I then added PARAM 52 to us_41h using a value of 200. No change. Then added PARAM 52 to us_41j using a value of 200. No change.

So I believe I have identified the hearing of the DTMF dialing as a symptom of the Hookflash not being detected; I have tried to test this using a much longer time - long enough to force a Hang-up, but unsuccessfully. I am attaching a log showing this failure to dectect the Hookflash.

What should I try next?

Thank you!

Rob G.

Hookflash_failure.txt

My understanding is that, because I can hear the target numbers being dialed, the Hookflash did not register (it did not put the current call on Hold).

Correct.

I have tried extending the Hookflash time using approach 1 (TAPI) and using approach 2 (.prm file).

You're using VG for Dialogic. TAPI drivers are irrelevant/not used here.

What should I try next?

From http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/html/Dial...llTransfers.htm :

Setting Hookflash length on Dialogic cards - Approach 3 (Config.xml file)

When using VoiceGuide for Dialogic the hookflash length is set in Config.xml file. The Config.xml file is located in VoiceGuide's \data\ subdirectory. The following section of Config.xml should be edited:

<SetParm>

<Description>Flash time during dialing</Description>

<Key>DXBD_FLASHTM</Key>

<Value>10</Value>

<Default>10</Default>

</SetParm>

Does Verizon support hookflash transfers at all? Can you do transfers manfully using a telephone handset?

Well, there's another ooppps... The Help file that I printed does not have an Approach #3! And now that I read your details, I recognize it from another post - I'll follow this approach my next visit to the office. Thank you.

Yes, Verizon does support hookflash transfers. I have a "flash" button on my phone that works (puts current call on hold and provides dialtone), and I can manually depress the switchhook to get a second dialtone. I have not tried to complete a full "transfer", but I have tested the ability to hit the switchhook, get a second dial tone, and successfully call another phone. I have no reason to suspect that hitting the switchhook again will not complete the transfer (famous last words??). I'll let know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Rob G.

Support:

1. I double-checked my documentation. I printed out, and have been using, the Help file that came with the Dialogic patch. It now seems to me that you do not have a separate Help file specific to Dialogic users, but that you maintain just one Help file. Is that correct?

If so, I will go to

http://www.voiceguide.com/vgHelpIndex.htm and download/print it (I like to be able to mark up paper).

Note to other Dialogic newbies in USA / New Jersey / Verizon (especially if you use only 1 port on your card):

What Verizon calls 3-Way Calling is their service that will allow you to press the switchhook (that puts the current caller on Hold and gets you a second line with dialtone) to call a third party. This is 3-Way Conference Calling and you can use VG's 3 Way Conference Monitored option to effect a Call Transfer with this service. When you do this, the port on your Dialogic card stays in use for the duration of the call between the person calling in and the person called by your script.

If you want do a Call Transfer that does not tie up the Dialogic port, but does leave the other 2 parties connected, then you will need to pay Verizon a little more (about $3/month) for their 3-Way Call Transfer service.

The 3-Way Conference Calling and 3-Way Call Transfer services work the same way in the sense that you press the switchhook to put the current caller on Hold and get a second line with dialtone in order to call a third party. The only difference between these services is what happens when you hang up. If you have 3-Way Conference Calling and you hang up, all parties are disconnected. If you have 3-Way Call Transfer and you hang up, the other 2 parties can keep talking.

So, use VG's HookFlash Transfer Monitor with Verizon's 3-Way Call Transfer service to have your script connect the calling party with the party called by the script AND then free up the Dialogic port to take another call. But only after you arrange for the more expensive 3-Way Call Transfer service.

btw - a Hookflash time value of 50 is working for me (a value of 10 did not work - too short).

Thank you Rob for sharing this information. I wonder if Vonage have any similar service, if anybody knows.

Jim,

The Vonage site says:

Transfer a Call Anywhere

At the Push of a Button.

Vonage Call Transfer allows you to direct calls to anywhere you want in the US (including Puerto Rico) and Canada. After you answer a call, you may have your call transferred to a phone number of your choosing. For example, your cell phone, your office phone or to any phone number in the US (including Puerto Rico) and Canada. Your calls are transferred immediately.

Transfer Calls As You Receive Them

Vonage Call Transfer also allows you to transfer calls as they ring in. Now you can transfer a call to someone else when you want.

How To Transfer Calls

It's easy to transfer a call to a third party.

1. Just press the flash button or switch hook on your Vonage line telephone.

2. Dial #90.

3. Dial the phone number where you want the call transferred. Then hit #.

4. Hang up the phone and the transfer will take place.

Another Included Vonage Feature

There is no additional cost to transfer a call with your Vonage phone service. It is included in your monthly Vonage calling plan. This means that all calls under our unlimited plans will be at no extra charge, and for our rated plans, calls will count towards your included monthly minutes.

This seems to differ from Verizon's local service in the dialing of #90. Vonage will do a 3-Way Call the same way Verizon does (hit the swithhook and dial), so you have to know up front if you intend to set up a Transfer or stay on the line. With Verizon, having 3-Way Transfer means you can have a regular 3-way conference call or you can hangup (and let the other 2 parties continue). In other words, with Verizon, Conference Calling is a subset of how they have implemented Call Transfers; not so with Vonage.

This should not be an issue with VG. You already know in your script what it is you want to do...

Good Luck!

Jim,

The Vonage site says:

Transfer a Call Anywhere

At the Push of a Button.

Vonage Call Transfer allows you to direct calls to anywhere you want in the US (including Puerto Rico) and Canada. After you answer a call, you may have your call transferred to a phone number of your choosing. For example, your cell phone, your office phone or to any phone number in the US (including Puerto Rico) and Canada. Your calls are transferred immediately.

Transfer Calls As You Receive Them

Vonage Call Transfer also allows you to transfer calls as they ring in. Now you can transfer a call to someone else when you want.

How To Transfer Calls

It's easy to transfer a call to a third party.

1. Just press the flash button or switch hook on your Vonage line telephone.

2. Dial #90.

3. Dial the phone number where you want the call transferred. Then hit #.

4. Hang up the phone and the transfer will take place.

Another Included Vonage Feature

There is no additional cost to transfer a call with your Vonage phone service. It is included in your monthly Vonage calling plan. This means that all calls under our unlimited plans will be at no extra charge, and for our rated plans, calls will count towards your included monthly minutes.

This seems to differ from Verizon's local service in the dialing of #90. Vonage will do a 3-Way Call the same way Verizon does (hit the swithhook and dial), so you have to know up front if you intend to set up a Transfer or stay on the line. With Verizon, having 3-Way Transfer means you can have a regular 3-way conference call or you can hangup (and let the other 2 parties continue). In other words, with Verizon, Conference Calling is a subset of how they have implemented Call Transfers; not so with Vonage.

This should not be an issue with VG. You already know in your script what it is you want to do...

Good Luck!

Has anyone been able to get Vonage to transfer a call using VG ver7 in the US? If so, did they have to change the flash wait on their dialogic card to 200ms, and if so, did they use the PBX monitored transfer and make their number, if being passed from a database

,,#90,,,1#######,,,,,,,#

or, using the PBX anounced transfer:

,#90,,,1#######,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,number of commas for message,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,#

I have not been able to get it to work yet, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

For a PBX anounced transfer I should have sad 91 instead of 90 below:

,#91,,,1#######,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,number of commas for message,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,#

I have not been able to get it to work yet, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Best to speak to Vonage to see what services they have enabled on the lines which they have supplied.

Vonage should advise how to control these services form the normal analog handset, and the you just copy ion VG what buttons etc would have been pressed on the handset.