VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Wave Drivers

So I ran up against too many limitations with my voicemodem so I bought and installed a Dialogic D/41EPCI. To install this long card, I moved the voice modem and the NIC card to higher slots and installed the D/41EPCI where there was room at the lower slot.

Now the modem no longer supports voice (wave drivers not properly installed?) and the D/41EPCI will not function correctly. The problem with the D/41EPCI is that a caller hears nothing on the line while I can hear the Announce file playing on the PC speakers.

After readying more posts in this really terrific forum, I have determined that I have problems with my wave drivers and I should uninstall them and reinstall them.

Here's my problem: I must dense, but I can not figure out how to Uninstall a wave driver or install a wave driver.

I am using an XP SP1 platform so I have 2 problems: 1. SP is not a supported Windows release for Dialogic 5.1.1, and 2. XP does not have the same Hardware and Software management screens that show in the documentation for the supported releases. Things like the 'Telephony' or 'Multimedia' applets are very different in that when I find 'similar' displays for the related functionality, they lack things like the 'Add' button neccessary to do things like 'Add the Dialogic Wave Driver'.

I am hoping one of you can give me some direction before I am reduced to a really tedious and time-consuming 'black box' trial and error methodology.

TIA

In the spirit of providing info that may be of help to others, here is what I have done: (you can just skip down to the Bold text for the meat)

Uninstalled the hardware (h/w) for the PCTel HSP56 micromodem and the D/41EPCI from the Device Manager. Ran Dialogic Uninstall from Start/Programs/Dialogic...

Physically removed both cards. Rebooted. Tested Nutcracker on the CD and it still worked (sanity check).

Powered down and installed D/41EPCI. Powered up. The h/w wizard found it. I pointed it to the folder containing the unzipped, but not yet executed, files for Dialogic 5.1.1. XP complained that it had not passed logo testing and I said continue anyway. Now shows up under "?Other Devices" in the Device Manager, with no drivers.

Restarted XP. Executed SR 5.1.1 calling for a Custom Install so I could select GlobalCall API package (Springware TAPI SP and 5 others were already selected). Restart of XP required by installer.

Ran Dialogic Configuration Manager (DCM), started the DSS, and ran the UDD (diagnostics) - all OK.

Gets fuzzy here: Basically I ran in circles, screamed and shouted, trying to "Activate Dialogic TSP for TAPI" and "Activate Dialogic WAVE Driver". This is where I was lost before because of differences between XP and the instructions I could locate in this forum and on the web.

Shoot! I guess I have to pay $500 for SR 5.1.1 FP1 because it is the only version that says it supports XP. Downloaded SR 5.1.1 FP1.

Installed SR 5.1.1 FP1. Hoped for XP-specific documentation to complete the install and configuration with respect to the TSP and Wave driver. No Such Luck. The configuration manual was useless (I still don't know what they were talking about, but I know it had nothing to do with getting my system working). All my testing showed I was just were I was before in terms of problem symptom (the caller hears nothing, but I hear the files playing on my PC speakers).

Back to scratching around - but this time with success!

From VoiceGuide's Configuration wizard, selected Add/Remove, then selected the Advanced tab, Add: Selected the only option showing - Dialogic Generation 2 Service Provider for NT. Used the Configure option to Detect Boards. This is the "Activate Dialogic TSP for TAPI" I had been trying to find.

I followed VG's Help file documentation for "Installing Dialogic Wave driver - Windows 2000" next. The h/w wizard asked if the device was already connected - said YES. Selected the very last entry "Install a new hardware device. Selected the option to let me manually select the h/w to be installed. I followed steps 6 - 11 from the help file to finish loading the Wave driver.

I said "with success!", but I need to point out that while I am doing this, I am getting those XP logo testing complaints about the incompatibility of the software being loaded. Hold that thought.

I tested VG with my scripts and they worked like a charm.

Back to the thought on the XP logo testing messages. Why am I paying $500 and still getting these messages?

So I uninstalled the SR 5.1.1 FP1 software. It pretty much restored the SR5.1.1 files for me. I pretty much repeated the steps above to activate the TAPI and Wave drivers (don't recall exactly if one of them had remained from my earlier efforts).

VG works like a champ. I choose not to install SR 5.1.1 SP1 because the isssues addressed did not strike me as being important to me. And it doesn't look like I need SR 5.1.1 FP1 even though I have an XP box. We will see as time goes on.

I still have not reinstalled the PCTel HSP56 micromodem. I'm a little gun shy right now and don't really need it. Interesting observation: My script is still pointing to all the 8000Hz, 16-bit, mono files I created for use with my old voicemodem and it still sounds great to me. I expected that VG would not work with those files because I thought it required the PCM, 11kHZ, 8-bit, mono format. Curious.

Hope this helps the next guy. I'm exhausted - going back to writing mortgages...

On behalf of everybody I would like to thank RobG for providing a good article of XP installation.

We don't have a step by step installation guide for XP machines at this stage - lack of which caused some pain and anguish.... we'll have to create one soon.

We have installed Dialogic on XP before, using the freely available Dialogic System Release drivers - and we did not make notes on how it was done... :( . We used versions 5.01 and 5.1 and 5.1.1. We have not yet tried 5.1.1 FP1.

Rob, if you are getting 'XP logo complaints' then I'd try to contact the distributor from where you have purchased the SP1 and ask them what is going on.

Please note: System Release 5.01/5.1/5.1.1 are not officially certified for XP, but when we installed them on XP machines we could not find any problems ourselves... We still recommend using Win2000 - for which all the System Releases are certified.

The 8000Hz, 16-bit, mono files will work when appropriate on-the-fly converters are installed on the system - XP would have those installed. Problems may occur however when mixing WAV files of different formats in one play sequence - eg: when playing back amounts some files will be user files and some will be VG system files - but all of these should be of the same format... have we just recommend to use

11025Hz, 8-bit, mono for all files when using Dialogic cards...

Just wanted to clarify: SR 5.1.1 FP1 costs $495; not SR 5.1.1 SP1.

And they offer FP1 on a trial basis so I decided not to purchase it after my testing indicated I could function without it. The trial basis is cool - the software will work for 10 hours before having to be restarted - and then it will work for another 10 hrs...

Thanks for the comments on WAV file formats. I guess I better re-record all my files afterall. Tough job, because it turns out I'm a plosive kind of guy (and I had never even heard that word before VG came into my life).

Thanks again for providing an outstanding product and for this great forum.