VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Installation Problem With Wrong Sound Files

Hi, while re-installing the TAPI version of VoiceGuide, I keep getting the system sound wavs (and script files) installed at 8Khz, not the 11Khz versions.

I have tried installing v5.2.5012 and v5.2.5003 versions, I select "standard TAPI" from the 3 options (the other being the Dialogic Analog/Digital) but keep getting the 8Khz files.

I have tried deinstalling previous voiceguide install, and tried reinstalling over the top of a reinstated backup copy, but I just keep getting 8KHz files.

Can you tell me what Vg is using to decide what files to install?

The system has installed a Dialogic D4PCI card and SR5.1.1. drivers on Windows XP.

Previous installs have gone okay without a problem. But I have run VG4dialogic on here before so maybe there is a spare dll or something getting in the way?

If I can't force it put in 11khz, can I just copy over 11khz files over the 8khz ones? Are there are other settings (perhaps in the VG.INI or registry) that need to tell VG or the wavedriver what to use?

I would just back up the sound files that do not work and replace them with the correct files as you have suggested.

I'm almost positive all the VG sound files have the same name regardless of the format.

It certainly will not hurt anything if you make backups and try this. I seem to remember having the same problem. My solution was exactly what you suggested.

I select "standard TAPI" from the 3 options (the other being the Dialogic Analog/Digital) but keep getting the 8Khz files.

The TAPI option will install the 8kHz sound files.

VG for Dialogic uses 8kHz sound files...

Why do you want 11kHz sound files installed?

I decided to do a fresh install of VG on my development machine using 5.2.5012 so I could do an upgrade to 5015 (or 5027) by just overwriting the VGMulti.exe. But some of my sound files gave bad-format errors and wouldn't play the sound files. I checked the format and got 8KHz, but when I compared it to the backup copy I had taken, the backups were in 11,025KHz format. What I couldn't understand is why the "standard TAPI install" gave the wrong file type compared with the previous install. I thought I had made a mistake and tried to reinstate VoiceGuide to get the 11KHz file set, but after several attempts, no joy.

I have also discovered that some 11khz files (eg: the IPwelcome.wav in the internet-portal demo script) will play via an eicon wave driver, but a file with ostensibly the same spec (11Khz, 8bit, mono) as processed by cooledit will not. Are you aware of any subtle wav-file spec differences that might cause this problem?

I thought TAPI used 11,025KHz, 8bit mono wav files on a dialogic card, while the VG4Dialogic used 8Khz, 16bit/8bit wav/vox. Is this no longer true?

Can I reinstall an earlier version to get 11khz back?

I will do some investigation and see whats happening, and get back to you.

I thought TAPI used 11,025KHz, 8bit mono wav files on a dialogic card, while the VG4Dialogic used 8Khz, 16bit/8bit wav/vox.

Correct.

When installing VG v5.x:

If you select the 'TAPI' option the 8kHz files will be installed.

If you select the 'Dialogic' option the 11kHz files will be installed.

Sorry, your reply seems to be opposite of what I posted!

Anyway, after rechecking the situation, I've found that:

1. The Eicon Wave drivers will play 8KHz 8bit or 16bit files, but not 11KHz files, so it looks like I need to resample my files. This isn't a problem.

2. WAV Files edited/saved with Cooledit do work, provided they are the spec just mentioned.

3. I was under the impression that 11KHz wavs were working, and hadn't realised that was in fact working with 8KHz files.

So, despite the misunderstandings, I do have wav file playback working now. (I have a separate problem with recording files, that I will post separately).

Thanks - Tim.