VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Result Variable As Smtp Setting

Can you use result variables as the SMTP setting and return address settings in an email module ?

I want to lock my script (vgp) and have an external text file with these setting in it which can be changed depending on the local SMTP settings without the need to open the protected script to make changes.

No luck with this so far although I am succesfully reading the variable values in from the external file

for example

[sMTP]{smtp.anymail.co.uk}[Return]{brian@mymail.com}

are visible throughout the event trace log. However I think the mail sender is using

$RV[sMTP]

as the address of the SMTP server rather than smtp.anymail.co.uk. I have entered $RV[sMTP] as the SMTP Address in send method 1 in the email module but expected it to be substituted by the variable value. Is there something special I need to do with the syntax for this entry.

Its a bit strange because the text of the emails tehmseves are full of result variables which get properly substituted when the email is sent

Any help greatly appreciated.

Only got OE so MAPI is not an option. Can send properly when I type the actual SMTP domain name into SMTP address for Send Method 1

Best Regards

Brian Docherty

We can modify v7 so that it will interpret $RVs in Email modules' "To:" and "From:" fields.

Are you using v7?

No not using V7, using 5.2

$RVs already work in the to and from fields (even in 5.2). Where I cannot use $RVs are in the SMTP settings in Send Method 1 and 2 tabs in the email module and in the Sender name and return to address in this module

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Brian

v5 is a very old version and it's not possible to add new features to it now. Your only option would be to move to v7.

I understand V5 is old but I want to use a voice modem whch are not stated as supporte don V7

Will V7 suppiort a voice modem ?

Another approach you can try is to use an external email command line utility and call that program from VoiceGuide’s Run Program module. You should then be able to specify the various email options using $RVs as VoiceGuide will convert all $RVs on a command line in a Run Program module.